Multiple Grammy nominated Paul Dugdale is a 36 year old film maker based in London. He studied at Central Saint Martins School of Art. His passion for music and film has led him to direct documentaries and concert films for some of the world's biggest artists including; Adele, Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, One Direction, Ed Sheeran and Mumford and Sons name but a few.
Dugdale is freelance
Dugdale is best know for writing and directing high profile music films for artists such as Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, One Direction, The Prodigy and of course the seminal concert film Adele Live at The Royal Albert Hall.
2016 begun with 2 extensive and historic projects for The Rolling Stones, taking in their landmark show in Havana Cuba. Previous work for the Stones has also been included in their recently opened exhibition in London's prestigious Saatchi Gallery. The world's largest touring rock n roll exhibition in history, 'Satisfaction' live, taken from the Hyde Park film directed by Dugdale, was painstakingly converted to 3D and is the closing exhibit at the show.
Last year Dugdale made live music videos for Mumford and Sons and Adele, and a live to air TV show for Ed Sheeran for VH1. 3 theatrically released feature length music documentaries followed; The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers Live in Los Angeles, The award winning Lenny Kravitz 'Just Let Go' and a documentary film marking Ed Sheeran's Wembley Stadium debut 'Jumpers for Goalposts'.
In 2014, Dugdale completed film project was a new movie for One Direction. The feverishly anticipated film received a worldwide cinema release and over 10 000 theatre screenings in October 2014.
This is his second time working with the band. Dugdale previously worked closely with Morgan Spurlock (‘Supersize Me’, ‘The Greatest Movie Ever Sold’ ) in London and New York on ‘This Is Us’ a 3D Movie for One Direction released in cinemas worldwide and later becoming the fastest selling music film in history. It was also the over all #1 selling DVD for Christmas in the UK that year.
Also in 2013, Dugdale completed his first concert film starring The Rolling Stones. The Rolling Stones ’Sweet Summer Sun- Hyde Park Live,’ was a film documenting The Stones’ triumphant return to London’s Hyde park as well as featuring intimate documentary sections. It received a worldwide theatrical, and DVD / Blu Ray in November and topped the music DVD charts both in the UK and US as well as countless others. The film has been nominated for several awards.
In Spring 2014 Dugdale returned for his second collaboration with Coldplay on ‘Ghost Stories – The Film’, a full visual interpretation of their new album broadcast on NBC in the US and SKY in the UK as well as around the world. The band performed live within a bespoke 360 degree projected stage set, shot at Sony Pictures studios in Los Angeles. Technologically ground breaking the film combines live performance with cinematic interludes to create an intimate and compelling journey through their latest album. The film was nominated for several awards including a Grammy for Best Music Film in 2015, and winning Best Music Programme at the 2015 Broadcast Awards.
Previously, Dugdale directed ‘Coldplay Live 2012’, another worldwide theatrical release. It was nominated for ‘Best Music Film,’ at the 2014 Grammy Awards in the US. It features colour drenched performances from several different locations around the world, as well as intimate documentary portraits of the band as they navigate their Mylo Xyloto tour around the globe.
Dugdale directed and exec produced a DVD/ Blu ray release for Adele ‘Live at The Royal Albert Hall’. It debuted at #1 in the US and UK music DVD charts as well as countless others. It recently won a Royal Television Society Award for best Multi-camera production, and is to date the biggest selling female artist music DVD in history.
MULTI CAMERA COMMERCIALS / BRANDED CONTENT
Dugdale has worked closely with a host of brands to create commercials and branded content for multiple broadcast platforms.
'Red Bull Future Underground' 3 nights of concert parties at a secret underground location in central London this Fall.
Red Bull Primavera Sound 2016 Festival coverage
The London transmission of the first ever Youtube Awards from Abbey Road London.
‘Red Bull Revolutions In Sound’ saw 32 artists performing in the iconic London Eye, creating 30 simultaneous clubs for 1 landmark night of world beating dance music. It beat the world record previously held by the Olympics 2012 for most live streams broadcast in history.
A multi camera commercial for ‘Hello Bank’ / BNP Paribas, saw Dugdale shoot in Prague with world renowned conductor Libor Pesek for a technologically ground breaking multimedia project creating an orchestra out of phones and tablets.
He has also directed films and commercials for a number of other brands including:
Levis, Adidas, Guinness, ASOS, Ray-Ban, Lyle and Scott, Blackberry, and AMEX
Dugdale has made several NBC Concert Specials, the most recent being for Ed Sheeran, Live at Wembley Stadium, and Coldplay: Ghost Stories The Film.
Dugdale directed a number of productions broadcast on the BBC including the Radio 1 Teen Awards, Emeli Sandé Live at The Royal Albert Hall, The Rolling Stones, Radio 1’s Big Weekend, and The Glastonbury Festival which was nominated for a BAFTA.
HOUSE PARTY: NYE which saw 6 of the worlds best DJs welcoming in 2014. 6 hour live broadcast with no commercial breaks. Particularly special to this broadcast was the inclusion of a 'VJ' in the production gallery, which meant we were able to manipulate and effect camera output in real time. The resulting aesthetic for this show was truly unique and a first for live TV.
To date, Dugdale has been credited with directing a number of multi-camera music specials - bespoke programmes for artists such as Justin Bieber, The Killers, Nero, Jessie J, and Chase and status. Dugdale was series director for The Jo Whiley Show- A weekly hour long chat show with music performance on Sky Arts HD and Sky 1. He also directed Adam Buxton’s ‘Bug’ for Sky Atlantic, a music video based comedy show translated from Buxton’s popular BFI stage show.
He also directed the prestigious NME Awards for Channel 4 UK. Dugdale also had the honour of directing ‘Unity a Concert for Steven Lawrence’ in London’s O2 Arena, and The BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards.
Dugdale has directed shoots for a whole host of artists. They include:
The Rolling Stones, Adele, One Direction, Florence and the Machine, Coldplay, Chic, Above and Beyond, Kendrick Lamar, Calvin Harris, Ed Sheeran, Mumford and Sons, Justin Bieber, Mark Ronson, Public Enemy, Rihanna, The Prodigy, The Killers, Bon Jovi, ASAP Rocky, Emeli Sande, Duran Duran, Grand Master Flash, The Horrors, The Kills, David Guetta, Pulp, The Maccabees, Noel Gallagher, Erick Morillo, Kasabian, Bobby Womak, Skrillex and many many more
- ‘Best Live Music Coverage’ UK Music Video Awards. Lenny Kravitz. 'Just Let Go' WINNER
- ‘Best Live Music Coverage’ UK Music Video Awards. Mumford and Sons. Hospital Sessions. Nomination
- The 57th Grammy awards 2015. Best Music Film. Nominee. ‘Coldplay Ghost Stories’
- Broadcast Magazine Awards 2015 Best Music Programme: ‘Coldplay Ghost Stories’ WINNER
- Double nomination Broadcast Magazine Awards 2015 Best Music Programme. Coldplay ‘Ghost Stories- The Film’ and The Rolling Stones ‘Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live’
- Double nomination UK Music Awards 2014 Best Live Coverage. Coldplay ‘Ghost Stories- The Film’ and The Rolling Stones ‘Sweet Summer Sun - Hyde Park Live’
- The 56th Grammy awards 2014. Best Music Film. Nominee. ‘Coldplay Live 2012’
- Royal Television Society Craft and Design. Award for Multi-camera work. Adele ‘Live at The Royal Albert Hall.’ WINNER
- BAFTA. Best Sport / Live event. Nominee. 'Glastonbury 2013'
- ‘Best Live Music Coverage’ UK Music Video Awards. Winner. The Prodigy ‘Worlds on Fire’
- ‘Best Live Music Coverage’ UK Music Video Awards. Nominee, 4 times. 2009 ‘The Prodigy’, 2010 ‘The Prodigy’, 2011 ‘Jessie J’, 2012 ‘The Jo Whiley Show’
- Broadcast Awards 2014. ‘Best Music Programme’ Winner Glastonbury 2013
- Broadcast Awards 2013. ‘Best Music Programme’ Highly Commended ‘House Party’
- Guild of television Cameramen Award for Excellence 2013. Winner. ‘Coldplay Live 2012’
- Music Week Award ‘Best Television program featuring music.’ Nominee. ‘The Jo Whiley Music Show.’
- Music Producers Guild Awards. ‘Best Live Production of the year.’ Nominee. ‘Adele Live at The Royal Albert Hall.‘
- The campaign for ‘ASOS’ by BBH that Dugdale contributed to, was an award winner at this year's prestigious British Arrow Awards.
Dugdale works freelance worldwide